For the highest quality on disc printing reproduction our preference is client supplied electronic files and we will output the films. However, if you prefer to supply films, please follow these specifications:
• A film positive, right reading, emulsion side up, with a minimum resolution of 2400 dpi. Film thickness should be 4mil (.10mm).
• Log density of 3.5 for flat printing, 4.0 for halftone and line art. Clarity in film base should have a log density between 0.0 and 0.2 and be optically clear. The film should also be free from contamination, scratches and creases.
• Minimum film size 8" x 8".
• CD printable areas are: a. 45mm-118mm; Standard circle. b. 36mm-118mm; Standard circle including mirror band. c. 20mm-118mm; Edge to edge and must include a white knockout ring between 32mm and 36mm diameters.
• If using a solid white base color, "flood", a film positive, emulsion side up, with a .5pt choke on all edges may be supplied.
•However, for standard flood areas shown on "Compact Disc Printing Specifications" sheet: CD printable areas A, B, or C, films are not required. Client must indicate preferred flood to match artwork. Client will not be charged for standard (A,B,C) flood films.
• The film for the base color must match the graphics and must be specified on the order "Print white base color".
• Please refer to CD Printing Specifications Template.
• Recommended line screen is 85lpi with a maximum of 100lpi.
• Dot shape must be elliptical and within the 20-80% dot range.
• Only linear gradations may be used. Radial gradations will produce a moiré.
• Templates are available for layout purposes.
• Shipping: each film to be separately slip-sheeted, secured, and thoroughly protected to prevent scratching, puncturing or folding.
Type Size/Line Width
Minimum regular type size is 4pt (.056"/1.40mm). Minimum serif width is 0.5pt (.007"/0.175mm).
• Minimum character line width is 0.5pt (.007"/0.175 mm).
• Minimum reverse type size is 5pt (.07"/1.75mm).
• Minimum reverse character line width is 0.75pt (.01"/.265mm).
• Bold face type preferred. For best results, use a Helvetica bold-type font.
• For boxes, circles and rules, follow regular and reverse minimums above.
• Registration marks must be included.
• Location: 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions.
• Position: 170mm (5.12"/30picas, 11pts) outer diameter outside the image area (3.346" from center).
• Crosshairs: must be 21mm long, with a width of . 25 maximum.
• Registration dots must also be included: Position the four registration dots, each 2mm in diameter, 45mm from the center line, and 90mm from each other. Please refer to CD Printing Specifications Template for example.
• Any process artwork must have a color proof supplied by the customer.
• Any PMS colors must be accompanied by laser proofs.
Halftone, Screen Tint & 4-color Process Separations
• Scanning: Images to be scanned at double the line screen of final output.
• Screen ruling: 85 - 100 Lines per inch (LPI) recommended.
• Dot shape: Elliptical.
• Ink density scanner setting (GCR) from 250280%, depending on artwork (transparency).
• Screen angle for one color halftones:45ƒ (Black).
• Color separations should be produced exclusively for screen printing, using elliptical dots. Lithographic separations cannot be used.
• Separation tonal ranges should be adjusted to be no less than 20% and no greater than 80%.
• The separations must be angled to avoid a moiré pattern.
• Halftones should be angled in this order:
◦ First halftone in sequence: 45ƒ
◦ Second halftone in sequence: 75ƒ
◦ Third halftone in sequence: 105ƒ
• We recommend that colors do not overprint with the exception of black, which will print on top of other colors.
• All Pantone colors must be identified with their appropriate PMS numbers.
• Colors printed on a disc substrate may vary slightly from a paper swatch.
Only one color per film. All halftone, screen tints, four-color process and background films must be clearly marked indicating the following on each film:
• Screen ruling
• Screen angle
• Dot shape
• % of GCR used
• Total number of colors
• Title and selection number
The appropriate "Compact Disc" logo must be seen clearly on the disc. This is an internationally registered and protected trademark; it must not be altered in any way. No deviations are permitted.
Designation of Origin
The designation "Made in the U.S.A." must be printed on discs designated for export.
Compact Disc Printing Specifications Template
Click Image to Enlarge
The diagram above is a GIF image and while it shows correctly on the screen, it may not print in proper size using your browser print command.
Should you require a hard copy of these specifications, please contact our team of graphic artists, or your account representative at 888-456-3475.
For information regarding printed materials for your CD and DVD packaging, please see our pages on DVD and CD inserts and DVD and CD booklets.
|Custom Printed Flash Drives !|
Our DVD slideshow services allow you to create a photo montage for any occasion with professional-looking DVD movies featuring your own pictures! It’s a simple process – you provide the photos, we can take care of the rest.